This idea came from my very clever sister who gave them out as presents for all the kids at Christmas time.
It is so simple and easy to make as well as being a long-lasting present which gave Miss Logical and Master Mayhem a lot of entertainment each morning as they watched the ‘hair’ on their grass-head grow.
You will need:
- Potting Mix
- Grass Seeds
- Pantyhose (about 20cm worth of stocking, preferably an end but a knot can also be tied on one end)
- Googly eyes
- Craft Bits and Pieces (pom poms, pipe cleaners, felt, anything you like)
- Empty yoghurt container
- Bag to present it in
Add the instructions below to your gift bag to let the recipient know what to do.
- Stretch the stocking over a cup and spoon in 2 teaspoons of grass seeds.
- Pour in the potting soil (The head should be about the size of a tennis ball).
- Tie a knot to close up leaving the excess stocking on.
- Make a nose or ears by grabbing a bit of stocking, twisting and fastening with a small rubber band or some cotton.
- Use the craft bits and pieces to decorate the head and the yoghurt container as the body. Note that any glue used should be waterproof.
- Once the glue has dried, put the ‘head’ in a bowl of water to wet the soil (make sure it gets quite wet). Half-fill the yoghurt container with water, and put the head on top, with the excess stocking dangling down into the water.
- Keep your grass-head on a windowsill or somewhere it can get a lot of sunlight. Make sure to put a few drops of water on every now keeping the head moist.
- ‘Grass-hair’ will take about 1 week to appear.