I saw this idea in a magazine a while ago and have been wanting to make it to kill two birds with one stone. One stone being to somehow get rid of the tin full of broken crayons we have accumulated over the years and the other stone being a cute gift idea or party favour for Miss Logical and Master Mayhem to give to their mates.
All you need is some broken crayons and some silicon muffin pans.
I’ll give you a top tip here… don’t use those silicon freezer trays… yeah… they ah, they melt. Turns out you should only put them in the freezer.
Another top tip is if the crayon is a crappy one that doesn’t draw very well, melting it down and mixing it with other crayons doesn’t make it better. It’s still just a crap crayon that doesn’t work very well so sift these ones out before you start.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Chop up your crayons. These can be into tiny pieces for a sort of speckled looking crayon or chunky pieces for more bigger blobs of colour throughout the crayon.
- Sprinkle your crayons into the muffin pans. We just happened to have some that were shaped like butterflies, roses and hearts which was perfect.
- Heat in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the crayons have melted.
- Remove from oven and cool. When they are cool gently take them from the pan and voilà, you have a brand new rainbow crayon!
Do you know of any home-made gift ideas for kids to make for friends?